A ‘ROYAL RUMPUS’: UNIQUE JAMES GILLRAY-INSPIRED ARTWORK BY MARK GATISS GOES ON SALE AT AUCTION
- Star sells character portrait in online auction, with all proceeds going to arts charity
- Tennessee Williams signed ‘Vieux Carre’ flyer also part of the online charity auction
- Bids open evening of 16 November until midday 23 November
- Exclusive live auction to take place at Nottingham Playhouse Thursday 22 November – hosted by Mark Gatiss
Critically acclaimed actor, author, producer and director; Mark Gatiss who has been receiving glowing praise for his performance in The Madness of George III has created a unique James Gillray-inspired satirical drawing to be sold at auction.
‘Royal Rumpus’ is a self-portrait of the actor as King George III, flanked by cartoon-style images of his fellow cast members: Adrian Scarborough as Dr Willis and Debra Gillett as Queen Charlotte.
The unique ink and water colour artwork officially goes on online auction today (16 November) with all proceeds from the sale being donated to Nottingham Playhouse 70th Anniversary Fund.
Also on sale in support of the East Midlands charity is a Tennessee Williams signed ‘Vieux Carre’ flyer from the European premiere at Nottingham Playhouse, May 1978.
Gifted to Nottingham Playhouse by Deputy Lord Lieutenant and theatre patron Tom Huggon, Tennessee Williams signed this flyer at the press conference before the show held at nearby hotel then called the Albany now the Britannia.
Both items will be available for public viewing on Monday 19 November at John Pye Auctions’ Marchington site, Uttoxeter and bids can be made online via John Pye Auctions from the evening of Friday 16 November until midday on Friday 23 November.
Nottingham Playhouse Gala
In addition to the online auction Nottingham Playhouse is hosting an exclusive charity Gala performance of the critically acclaimed The Madness of George III, which will include a live auction hosted by Mark Gatiss.
The Nottingham Playhouse 70th Anniversary Fund marks the platinum anniversary of the theatre company – as a charity, the theatre looks to raise £25,000 for the fund to continue its work within the community, including its 50:50 ticket scheme, youth theatre SHINE appeal and artist development programme, Amplify.
Nottingham Playhouse Gala live auction prizes include:
- Afternoon tea with Mark Gatiss and Adrian Scarborough at Hart’s in Nottingham
- A walk-on role in this year’s Nottingham Playhouse pantomime including four tickets to watch
- Nottinghamshire County Cricket team signed cricket bat and shirt
- Original and authenticated ‘Dead Funny’ programme from 1994, signed by Zoë Wanamaker and cast
- Nottingham City Transport Double Decker driving experience for 4
- Signed Sat Bains book, ‘Too many Chiefs only one Indian’
Tickets for the Gala are priced at £70 per ticket and can be purchased at Nottingham Playhouse Box Office, in person or over the phone. Group and corporate discounts are available. Playhouse Pass holders can also buy individual tickets in varying prices with 15% off.
For more information visit www.nottinghamplayhouse.co.uk
To place online vids visit www.johnpyeluxury.co.uk
Praise for The Madness of George III
***** – ‘by George, Mark Gatiss has got it!’ – The Telegraph
**** – ‘Mark Gatiss delivers a tour de force’ – The Guardian
**** – The Times
**** ‘Mark Gatiss relishes the role of the ailing king in Nottingham Playhouse’s lavish production’ – The Stage
Box Office Information:
Box office 0115 941 9419
2018 marks the 70th anniversary of Nottingham Playhouse. The Playhouse has been one of the United Kingdom’s leading producing theatres since its foundation in 1948 and welcomes over 130,000 ticket buyers annually and an additional 170,000 visitors to participation events and to Anish Kapoor’s stunning Sky Mirror. A charity, Nottingham Playhouse continually looks to raise funds for its on-going projects including its 50:50 ticket scheme, SHINE appeal and artist development programme, Amplify.